This recipe is an easy version of a classic vegetable dish. The eggplant (aubergine) should be firm and glossy. When past their prime they are soft and tend to have a bitter taste. This can be solved by cutting into big chunks and sprinkling with salt. Rinse and pat dry.
1 large onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 small zucchini
1 red capsicum, seeds removed 2-3 ripe tomatoes, thickly sliced
- Heat a small amount of olive oil in a large pan.
- Gently fry the onion until it is soft.
- Add the garlic and fry for about a minute.
- Cut eggplant, zucchini and capsicum into large chunks.
- Add to the onion and garlic and press down firmly.
- Top with a generous layer of tomatoes.
- Sprinkle about a tablespoon of olive oil over the top and place in a 150 C oven for two hours.